Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Sometimes I wonder why I play this bloody game.

I told a few of my players this week about a hand that got me really pissed. I was playing $1/$2 NL. I only sat down with $50 thinking I'm just going to play poker, no funny stuff, just play poker.

Anyway, my second hand I'm dealt QQ, I raise from an early position, not much, only about 2 bucks, anyway, I get re-raised from a player on my right that previously checked, so I start thinking 'what the...'? Anyway, I re-raise him, he re-raises again, now I'm worried, we're only raising the pot 2-3 bucks at a time (everyone had folded at this point), anyway, I sit and think for for a few moments and think, ah well, if he's got me beat, he's got me beat, at least I'm going in there with a dam good hand, so I push in my remaining 40 bucks into the middle.........The guy calls and flips over 5s4s; at this point I'm gobsmacked. I don't understand what this guy was thinking. Anyway, the flop comes down 5d 2s 10c, Turn; 5h, River; 4h - unbelievable. I wanted to choke the prick.

When KK AK AQ QQ and JJ are costing money, you know you're in a bad down swing.......

Does anyone play the occasional ordinary hand? Like the one the guy above played? I may call a small bet with it, however, I certainly wouldn't be raising with it? What do you reckon he was thinking?

*Reckon = thinks (Aussie slang)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

If you were in early position, where was he that he had already checked? If he was in earlier position, it was a retarded play.

The other thing is, stay away from 2x BB raises. It's called the min raise (or the 'moron raise' as DuggleBogey once said) and it gives away your cards, usually two high cards, although not usually a high pair as you had. Sometimes I'll call with low garbage if someone min-raises because they're almost always on high cards, and i might flop a monster.

I think if you had raised a healthier amount, 3-5x the BB, you might have had him folding.

Either way, unlucky. Keep at it, the chips will end up where they should.

2:31 am  
Blogger Dave Casey said...

Yeah, he was one hand on the right of me, so he checked before I raised and that's when he re-raised - i thought it was a little wierd.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll remember for the next time :)

10:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luv 3 5 suited in the SB or when i'm on the Button. When played from the SB and raised of course, I will come out swinging unless middle cards come. (if little cards flop, i may have made my hand, or hope to be making a good one AND if big cards come It's what he thinks i have that counts.)when from the Button my book says that the position alone dictates coming in (MY book remember) This does not work in NO-Limit games. welll rarely anyway lol.
Well there's a bit of my book for ya'll. ya'll=all you good playin poker buddies

1:01 am  
Blogger Dave Casey said...

Yup, I guess you make a fair point :)

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home